Getting South Dade It’s Fair Share
- Partnered with Commissioner Moss to create the South Dade Solutions Summit, dedicated to bringing business, community, and government leaders together to create a plan for South Dade to improve transportation, economic development, and quality of life.
- Increased the County police force by 80 officers with more than half placed in districts which serve South Dade.
- Secured funds for infrastructure projects in Homestead, Palmetto Bay, and Cutler Bay.
- Funded a new pool complex at South Dade Park, improved Debbie Curtin Park, and broke ground on Charles Burr Park.
- Championed the purchase of 60-foot super-capacity “bending” buses to provide commuters relief from congested routes and roadways.
- Reduced bus travel times by allowing city circulators to use the South Dade Transit Way.
- Added express bus service and replaced aging buses with new equipment.
- Capped express bus fares to save commuters money.
Protecting our Parks, Animals, and Environment
- Protected our drinking water by banning fracking.
- Restored funding for our parks.
- Added a spay and neuter clinic for Homestead area, conducted six major pet service events, and reduced age for volunteering at the animal shelter.
- Championed sensible solutions for Climate Change & Sea Level Rise.
- Cut pollution at county buildings and helped private owners reduce energy consumption.
Increasing Accountability and Reducing Waste
- Passed the Employee Protection Ordinance to make it easier and safer for county employees to report fraud, waste, and abuse.
- Leveraged technology to make government information easier to access and use.
- Increased campaign finance transparency.
- Strengthened conflict of interest reporting by elected officials.
Growing Our Economy and Opportunity
- Created the Small Business Academy and Nonprofit Academy to provide training and tools that help local businesses and nonprofits grow and overcome challenges.
- Passed the Convention to End Discrimination Against Women, completed a first annual report, and drafted legislation to reduce disparities.
- Created an Office of New Americans to coordinate education, outreach and free legal services to assist up to 500,000 county residents apply for citizenship.
- Restored an additional day of service for Coral Reef, Palmetto Bay, Naranja, and Homestead branch libraries.
- Launched “Accelerate South Dade,” an incubator for nonprofits and for-profit small businesses.
- Created a charitable fund at the Water and Sewer Department to help customers in need.